New Englands Spectacular Fall Foliage
Embark on a colourful autumnal journey through this picturesque corner of the USA and experience an Indian Summer in all its glory. Think glorious orange and red hues set against lush forests and tranquil lakes.
7 nights from £2515pp
Call us on 01756 706505 (+44 1756 706505) to discuss this holiday
Save up to 10% on selected departures. T&Cs apply.
Along the way you'll delve into Boston's transformative past as you follow part of the red-brick Freedom Trail. You'll visit the quintessential Vermont village of Woodstock and capture the Silver Cascade waterfall and Bretton Woods, which offers stunning views of Mount Washington. Drive along the famous Ocean Drive in Kennebunkport and see the fabulous homes of the rich and famous, all while staying at the best addresses yourself.
New Englands Spectacular Fall Foliage Itinerary
Day 1 Welcome to Boston.
Affectionately known as Beantown, this revolutionary city is one of the oldest in the United States. On arrival at Boston Logan International Airport, a transfer will take you to your centrally-located hotel, which is situated next to Boston Common, the city's largest park. After settling in, perhaps take a stroll to Downtown Crossing or historic Faneuil Hall. For those looking to shop, Quincy Market offers big brands and local products, set indoors and surrounding the columns of a regal 19th century building. At 18:00, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Dinner with wine and an opportunity to mingle with fellow guests at your hotel. Meals: Dinner with Wine
Day 2 Beantown to Williamstown.
Today you’ll discover some of Boston’s most famous sights as you delve into the city’s transformative past. You’ll follow part of the red-brick Freedom Trail that brings the story of the American Revolution to life. Sights include Beacon Hill, Newbury Street, Faneuil Hall Marketplace and the Meeting House. Enjoy the warm, colourful scenery as you travel west to Stockbridge for a visit to the Norman Rockwell Museum, home to the largest and most significant collection of original Rockwell art. Travel on through the rolling hills of the Berkshires to your boutique hotel. Tucked away in the heart of Williamstown, this beautiful property is a prime example of timeless elegance. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 3 The Legends of the Fall and Stowe.
Say goodbye to Massachusetts and journey through the bronze fall foliage of Vermont. Visit The Apple Barn Country Bake Shop for a revitalising pit stop of locally famous apple cider doughnuts and honey crisp apples grown in their own orchards. Explore the Rockefellers' renowned Billings Farm and Museum, a captivating working dairy and farm life museum, before a stop in the quintessential Vermont village of Woodstock with its picturesque covered bridge. End your day in the northern Vermont town of Stowe, home to the breathtaking alpine setting that attracted the real Von Trapp family of ‘The Sound of Music’ fame in the late 1940s. You’ll stay at the family’s Austrian-style lodge and indulge in a three-course Highlight Dinner, paired with a lager tasting from the on-site microbrewery. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 4 A Taste of Vermont.
Enjoy Vermont’s beautiful scenery ablaze with fall’s golden red colours. Prepare your taste buds for a guided tour of Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory, where you’ll be able to relish the quirky and fun flavours of the brand’s best products, including the Boston Cream Pie. Return to the enchanting town of Stowe where the rest of the day is yours. From wandering its quaint streets to hiking in the woods or relaxing back at your lodge, make the most of your last evening at this mountain resort. Meals: Breakfast
Day 5 North Conway and the White Mountains.
Move on to Vermont's pretty capital, Montpelier. You'll travel to Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks and taste a Vermont tradition, the unusually named ‘sugar on snow', which is maple syrup drizzled over packed snow. This tasty treat is usually served with a doughnut and pickle. Journey to New Hampshire's White Mountains and enter striking Franconia Notch. Have your cameras on standby for a scenic ride on the Gondola SkyRide at Loon Mountain Resort (weather permitting). On a clear day you'll have superb panoramic views of New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York and Canada. Later, journey through the dazzling crimson and orange hues of the famed Kancamagus Scenic Byway to North Conway. This spectacular section of Route 112 is unspoiled by industry and boasts 34.5 miles of untouched natural beauty. Once at your hotel, make the most of its facilities and relax before tomorrow’s exploration of the White Mountains. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 6 Sightseeing in the White Mountains.
In the morning, enjoy an insightful talk by a naturalist on the North Woods' wildlife and ecology. Expert Chris Lewey is an Executive Director and Founder of Raven Interpretive Programs. He holds a Masters Degree in Environmental Studies and will be on hand to answer any questions you might have. Then, more spectacular fall foliage awaits as you journey through Crawford Notch, an arresting pass through the White Mountains. Stop for pictures at the Silver Cascade Waterfall and Bretton Woods, which offers stunning views of Mount Washington, the tallest peak in the northeast at 6,288 feet (1,917 metres). Return to your hotel where you can enjoy an evening at leisure. Meals: Breakfast
Day 7 The rugged Maine coast to Portland.
Leave behind New Hampshire's colourful leaves as you enter the deep green pine forests of western Maine. In Kennebunkport, travel along Ocean Drive with stunning views of the Maine coastline. This coastal town houses the rich and famous, even serving as the summer retreat of former President George H.W. Bush. There will be time to browse the many galleries and shops, or walk along the waterfront before continuing to historic Portland. In the evening, enjoy a delicious Celebration Dinner featuring Maine lobster with your fellow travellers. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 8 Back to Boston.
This morning visit Portland Head Light on the spectacular shores of Fort Williams Park, before driving back to Boston. Guests departing Boston will arrive at Boston Logan International Airport at 12:30. Those extending their stay will return to the Hyatt Regency Boston hotel. Meals: Breakfast
- Stowe: At your Highlight Dinner, taste the product of artisan brewers during a three-course meal.
- Waterbury: Learn the secrets behind the most famous ice cream in America and sample delicious flavours at Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory.
- Montpelier: Visit Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks and taste a Vermont tradition: ‘sugar on snow’.
- Portland: Toast to your fond travel memories over a Celebration Dinner at one of Portland's renowned restaurants.
- Dining Summary: 7 Breakfasts (B) and 5 Dinners with wine (DW).
- North Conway: With an expert naturalist, learn about the wildlife and ecology of the North Woods.
Stay in Style
- Boston: Located in the heart of downtown, the Hyatt Regency Boston is just steps away from some of the city's most famous sites.
- Williamstown: The Orchards Hotel is an oasis of quiet charm and set against the backdrop of the magnificent Berkshire Mountains.
- Stowe: Enjoy a stay at the European-style Trapp Family Lodge, owned by the family who inspired 'The Sound of Music'.
- North Conway: The White Mountain Hotel and Resort is a warm and comfortable retreat with a breathtakingly beautiful setting and scenic mountain views.
- Portland: The Westin Portland Harborview brings the best of downtown Portland to your doorstep.
Top Rated Highlights
- Boston: Follow part of the red-brick Freedom Trail that brings to life the story of the American Revolution.
- Stockbridge: Visit the Norman Rockwell Museum, a wonderful snapshot of Americana, built to showcase the amazing artwork produced during his long career.
- Woodstock: Explore one of the finest operating dairy farms in America and also a museum of Vermont’s rural past at the Billings Farm and Museum.
- Franconia Notch: Enjoy superb panoramic views onboard the aerial tramway.
- Quechee Gorge: Stop for fall foliage picture-taking at the Silver Cascade Waterfall and Bretton Woods.
- White Mountains: Travel through Crawford Notch. Enjoy views of Mount Washington.
- Kennebunkport: Drive along Ocean Drive. See the homes of the rich and famous, including the summer retreat of former President George H.W. Bush. Browse in the galleries and shops.
- Woodstock: See the famous covered bridge.
- Bennington: Taste fresh cider at the Apple Barn and Country Bake Shop.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.