Northern Lights of Scandinavia
Chase the aurora borealis on this bewitching journey across Scandinavia's breath-taking mountains, rivers, cities and fjords.
9 nights from £3325pp
Call us on 01756 706505 (+44 1756 706505) to discuss this holiday
Northern Lights of Scandinavia Itinerary
Day 1 Welcome to Helsinki.
Your complimentary, private transfer takes you to your local departure airport. Welcome to Helsinki. A great mix of nature and urban and when covered in snow is stunning. This beautiful city is set to be your home for the night. At Helsinki airport, transfers depart at 10:00, 14:00 and 16:00 for the grand GLO Hotel Art. Meet your Travel Director at 18:00 for a drinks reception. Decorated in a distinctive Art Nouveau style, this charming four-star hotel is the ideal place to sit back and get to know your fellow travellers before your Scandinavian adventure begins. Meals: Locations: Helsinki
Day 2 The gateway to Saariselkä.
Today you’ll take a scenic flight to Ivalo. Known as the gateway to Saariselkä, Ivalo is a picturesque village set on the Ivalo River. Situated close to Urho Kekkonen National Park you’ll find views of the Aurora Borealis and the striking mountain Korvatunturi, also known as the home of Santa.You’ll enjoy a Welcome Dinner at your boutique hotel, Aurora Village, famed for its cabins with a glass roof, offering sweeping views of the night sky. Look out for the dancing northern lights as you gaze through the glass ceiling from the comfort of your room.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine Locations: Helsinki, Ivalo
Day 3 Ivalo to Honningsvåg.
Enjoy a sunrise view of Ivalo as you take in the picturesque scenery of its surrounding areas over your morning coffee and prepare yourself for your scenic day ahead. Today you’ll be driven from Ivalo to Honningsvåg, the northernmost city in Norway. On arrival, explore quaint Ivalo, with its colourful architecture and nautical character, it’s the ideal place to stock up on souvenirs to mark your travels. Retire to the traditional Scandic Bryggen Honningsvag, situated on the sea shore.(Breakfast / Dinner) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner Locations: Ivalo
Day 4 Northern Lights in North Cape.
You simply can’t visit Norway without heading to Northe Cape. Dubbed the northernmost point in continental Europe, you’ll go in search of the iconic Northern Lights as you sip on bubbles and delight in exquisite caviar with your fellow travellers. End your day back at your charming hotel, where you’ll rest up ahead of tomorrow’s adventures.(Breakfast / Dinner) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner Locations:
Day 5 North Cape to Alta.
Enjoy a spectacular drive from North Cape to Alta, taking in the country’s magnificent fjords and surroundings along the way. Head to an ice bar with your fellow travellers for a chilled beverage as you discuss the day’s events. Home for the next couple of nights is Scandic Alta, a traditional, relaxing hotel, situated in the heart of Alta. With time at leisure, perhaps visit the UNESCO World Heritage listed Rock Art Museum.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Alta
Day 6 Alaskan Huskies in Alta.
A day for dog lovers, today is a true high point of the trip. Visit a working husky farm to meet Trine Lyrek, a champion dog sledder. Learn about her Alaskan huskies and the challenges she faces competing in marathon Arctic dog sled races. Indulge on a delectable oven-baked Highlight Dinner of local specialities, including salmon or reindeer depending on the season, before heading back for a cosy night at your hotel.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine Locations: Alta
Day 7 Norway’s gateway to the Artic.
Today you’ll head to the small but mighty town of Tromsø, located on the island of Tromsøya. Known as Norway’s gateway to the Artic, you’ll be surrounded by snow-capped mountains and ethereal water views. Once here join your Travel Director for an orientation that takes you to the Arctic Cathedral. Your hotel boasts views over the Tromso Fjord and mountains.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Alta
Day 8 Delve into Scandinavian history.
Delve into the history of this glorious country with a meeting with the Sami people, the indigenous people of Scandinavia. You’ll wrap up in extra warm clothing provided for you, as you’re led around the Sami camp with a knowledgeable, English-speaking Sami guide. You’ll feed the reindeer herd before enjoying your Celebration Dinner, a hot traditional Sami meal with hot drinks. Gather round the camp fire as our Sami Reindeer herder shares about his life at the camp and performs traditional Sami songs for us.(Breakfast / Dinner) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner Locations:
Day 9 A merry finale in Oslo.
On your final day, you’ll fly from Tromsø to Oslo, for a merry finale in Norway’s capital. This modern city is surrounded by magnificent mountains offering panoramic views of the city beneath. On your orientation, see the medieval Akershus Castle and the Royal Palace. History enthusiasts can delve further into Norway’s impressive heritage at the Viking Ship Museum or for outdoorsy types, take a pretty walk through Frogner Park. Your hotel for the evening is the contemporary Thon Hotel Opera which offers delicious dining options in its modern Scala Restaurant.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Oslo
Day 10 Farewell Oslo.
It’s time to say farewell to your fellow travellers as a transfer arrives at Oslo airport at 07:15 or 10:15. On arrival at your home airport, your driver will greet and escort you to your waiting car for your private transfer home.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Oslo
- Helsinki. Enjoy a welcome drink at your hotel as you get to know your fellow travellers.
- Ivalo: Your delicious Welcome Dinner will be served at the boutique Aurora Village hotel.
- Alta: Head for drinks at a local ice bar, where you’ll get the chance to catch up with your fellow travellers.
- Alta: A true highlight of the trip, you’ll enjoy a Highlight Dinner of seasonal salmon or reindeer, alongside some new four-legged friends.
- Tromso: Dine on traditional food, served with hot drinks with the fascinating Sami people, as you hear tales of Scandinavia from its indigenous people.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B), 2 Dinner (D) and 3 Dinners with Wine (DW), all with tea or coffee. Departures travelling over New Year’s Eve and will enjoy a festive Highlight Dinner which will replace an included meal.
- Tromso: Delve into the fascinating history of Scandinavia as you meet its indigenous people, the Sami. You’ll be given a tour of their camp and get to feed the reindeer. Before sitting down to a scrumptious traditional meal served with hot drinks.
- Alta: Meet Trine Lyrek at her working husky farm. Gain an insight to the challenges Trine and her Alaskan Huskies face when competing in marathon Arctic dog sled races.
Top Rated Highlights
- North Cape: What better way to search for the Northern Lights than by toasting to your adventure with bubbles with your fellow travellers?
- Oslo: On your orientation of Oslo city, see the medieval Akershus Castle and the Royal Palace.
- Scenic Drives: Enjoy the scenery as you travel through the very north of Scandinavia. Catch glimpses of glimmering winter wonderland forests and snow covered mountains as you cross over the border of Finland and Norway chasing the Northern Lights. Watch dramatic coastlines rise from the seas by Alta, tracing your way past Lyngen Alps down the coast to Tromsø.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.