"I really love showing guests the huge variety that Italy has to offer, from quaint countryside villages to cities full of stupendous art and architecture." -Jackie Whiteford, Travel Director
7 nights from £1975pp
Call us on 01756 706505 (+44 1756 706505) to discuss this holiday
Save up to 12% on selected departures. T&Cs apply.
Italian Intermezzo Itinerary
Day 1 Elegant Como.
Your complimentary, private transfer takes you to your local departure airport. Welcome to Italy. After being greeted by your Travel Director at Milan's Malpensa Airport, your transfer departs at 09:30 or 12:30. Join your Travel Director at 17:30 and head to L'antica Riva, an elegant restaurant on the shores of Lake Como known for serving delicious fresh produce. Your Welcome Dinner provides the opportunity to mingle and get to know your fellow travellers over a pleasant evening.(Dinner with Wine) Meals: Dinner with Wine Locations: Milan, Como
Day 2 Venice, the Queen of the Adriatic.
Journey through the beautiful Italian lake district past Lakes Iseo and Garda to the floating city of Venice, Queen of the Adriatic. Your hotel offers authentic Venetian charm as it reflects the history and culture of the surrounding area.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Como, Venice, Verona
Day 3 Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima.
Even for the experienced traveller, there can be no better joy than waking up in Venice. Transfer to Giudecca Island to witness the art of glassblowing with skilled artisans. Then appreciate the splendour of Venice as you cruise by private launch to see Palladio’s San Giorgio Maggiore to St. Mark’s Square. Your Travel Director will explain the glorious history of La Serenissima, once one of the greatest trading centres of the world – its wealth and power is echoed by the riches of St. Mark’s Basilica. See the Doge’s Palace and its adjoining Bridge of Sighs. Spend the afternoon as you wish. Later, on your romantic gondola serenade, glide along the atmospheric canals while musicians set the mood with traditional songs.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Venice
Day 4 Tranquil Tuscany, Pisa and Florence.
Follow the fertile valley of the River Po, into the peaceful landscapes of Tuscany. Continue to Pisa to see the world-famous Leaning Tower in the Square of Miracles as well as the 11th century cathedral and baptistery. Venture on to beautiful Florence - a treasure house of the Renaissance. Explore Florence with Insight Choice. Choose between a visit to the Accademia Museum with an art historian to see Michelangelo's monumental statue, David. Alternatively, wander through the market stalls on a guided shopping tour and enjoy all the treats and trinkets on show. With your Local Expert, admire the marble-clad Cathedral and Baptistery and wander Piazza della Signoria, an open-air gallery filled with Renaissance sculptures. In the evening, dinner is served with a selection of Tuscany's finest wines, presented by an expert sommelier who explains each of the wines being served.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine Locations: Venice, Pisa, Florence
Day 5 Free Time in Renaissance Florence.
Florence is known for its quality leather goods and you will be privy to the secrets of traditional Florentine leatherwork when you visit a local workshop. The rest of the day is free for you to fully immerse yourself in the Tuscan capital. Perhaps shop for luxury goods around Santa Croce or relax and soak up the atmosphere in one of the many street cafes. Be sure not to miss the magnificent museums and galleries that house some of the most famous works of art in the world. In the evening, there is an opportunity to sample the true flavours of the region with a sumptuous optional Tuscan dinner, served with local wine.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Florence
Day 6 Chianti Country to Assisi and on to Rome.
Journey through the vineyards of the Chianti region passing Lake Trasimeno, one of the Italian Peninsula’s largest lakes and site of a great battle in ancient times against Hannibal and his war elephants. Continue up the foothills of the Apennine Mountains to reach delightful Assisi, a stone-built town spilling over the steep hillside. With a Local Expert, visit the tomb of St. Francis and see the beautiful frescoes by Giotto in the great basilica, before continuing along the valley of the River Tiber towards the Eternal City of Rome. In the evening, why not throw your coin into the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the city?(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Florence, Assisi, Rome
Day 7 Rome Sightseeing and Dinner in the Vatican.
In the morning enjoy the very best of the city’s highlights including visiting the magnificent St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican. Afterwards, enjoy some free time, perhaps joining a tour of the Colosseum? In the afternoon, gain exclusive fast-tracked VIP entry into the Vatican Museums with a Local Expert. Admire the Papal art collection and observe the stunning Museo Gregoriano Profano which documents various moments and themes in classical art, from Ancient Greece through to the late Imperial Roman age. You'll then enter the Sistine Chapel where you'll marvel at Michelangelo’s masterpiece on its ceiling. After, dine in the Vatican's elegant Cortile del Giardino Quadrato, should weather permit, where you will enjoy incredible views of the cupola of St. Peter's during your private VIP Celebration Dinner.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine) Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine Locations: Rome
Day 8 Arrivederci Roma.
Bid farewell to the glories of Italy. Departure transfers arrive at Rome’s Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport at 07:00 and 09:30. On arrival at your home airport, your driver will greet and escort you to your waiting car for your private transfer home.(Breakfast) Meals: Breakfast Locations: Rome
- Lake Como: The L'antica Riva restaurant, situated on picturesque Lake Como, is built within a historic 17th century building which was one of the ?rst houses of the area. Here you will enjoy a special Welcome Dinner with wine, as you get to know your fellow travellers.
- Florence: During dinner, meet a sommelier who will talk you through a tasting of some of Tuscan’s finest wines.
- Vatican City: Be among the select few to gain VIP access into the Vatican Museums. Visit the stunning Museo Gregoriano Profano which documents various moments and themes in classical art, from Ancient Greece through to the late Imperial Roman age and see Michelangelo’s ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. Then you'll be privileged an exclusive VIP Celebration Dinner at the Vatican's Cortile del Giardino Quadrato, whilst enjoying views of the cupola of St. Peters, should weather permit.
- Dining Summary: 7 Breakfasts (B) and 3 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Venice: See a master craftsman honouring age-old Venetian crafts, when you visit an artisan showroom and workshop on Giudecca Island.
- Florence: Gain a fascinating insight into the work of Michelangelo’s masterpiece, David, with a Renaissance art expert during your visit to the Accademia Gallery.
- Vatican City: Enjoy VIP fast-track entry into the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, as well as exclusive access to the Bramante Staircase that is usually not open to the public. During your visit to St Peter's Basilica, see Michelangelo's 'Pieta' and Bernini's intricately carved Papal Altar.
Top Rated Highlights
- Como: Take in the exquisite views of the lake and it's backdrop of the Rhaetian Alps as you enjoy an orientation of this magnificent town.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you are serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola.
- Florence: During your guided walk see the cathedral, bell tower and Gates of Paradise on the baptistery and visit the political heart of the city, Piazza della Signoria.
- Florence: See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods and witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Pisa: See the cathedral, baptistery and gravity-defying Leaning Tower.
- Assisi: Enjoy strolling through this quaint little town with your Local Expert and seeing it's beautifully preserved medieval lane ways and streets.
- Assisi: A Local Expert will explain why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Vatican City: Join your Local Expert and visit St. Peters Basilica.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.